The Dutch Canal in the Afternoon
Fishing and sightseeing boats moored outside their owners’ homes on the Dutch Canal in Negombo, Sri Lanka. While the canal predates the arrival of the Dutch East India Company, and is part of what once was a wide network of canals first mentioned in the 8th Century, the so-called Dutch Canal was repaired and deepened by the Dutch in the 17th Century. It is sometimes mistakenly called the Hamilton Canal, though the latter was built in 1804 by Garvin Hamilton, during the British period, and connects the city of Colombo to the Negombo Lagoon, whereas the Dutch Canal parallels the Hamilton Canal as far as the Negombo Lagoon before stretching further north as far as the Maha Oya (or river). Traces of the canal system can still be seen beyond the river, though it is largely in disrepair.